We came up with this Jalapeño Cream Sauce randomly one evening after our jalapeño plants went nuts and we had some fresh jalapeños we need to use. I am an Alfredo sauce nut and we both love jalapenos, so this one just made sense. Plus it cooks up fairly hands-off and you can step away and let the cream and butter sit for a bit if you need to do something like put a kid to bed.
Starting as an experiment we weren’t sure how it would work. Eventually, we decided to cut the ends off the jalapeños just enough to make sure the cream and butter could soak through. This allows them to soak up all the rich jalapeño flavor from the seeds and flesh. After letting them steep in barely simmering cream we could tell by the aroma it was going to be good. The fat in the butter and the cream help mute the spice a little and bring out the fresh green flavor, that doesn’t mean there’s not plenty of heat if you use hot jalapeños.
Jalapeño Cream Sauce dresses up and easy dinner!
Generally we serve this Jalapeño Cream Sauce like an Alfredo sauce over pasta. You could also use it for potatoes au gratin or anything else that needs a tasty cream sauce (looking at you grits)! For protein we go to our Smoked Chicken Tenders or some good smoked sausage, but you could easily do shrimp or a gulf fish. Let us know in the comments what you think of this one and what awesome food you decide to top with it!
Jalapeño Cream Sauce
- 3 Fresh Jalapenos Top and bottom cut off
- 1½ C Heavy Whipping Cream Use milk or half and half to make this recipe a little lighter.
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter DO NOT try to sub margarine.
- ⅓ C Parmesan Cheese Grated
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper Ground
- Cut the stem and tip from the jalapenos.
- Place peppers and butter in cream and simmer slowly for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally and keeping temperature low enough not to boil or scald the cream.
- When peppers feel soft removed them from the cream. Discard or keep for garnish.
- Bring cream and butter mixure up to a simmer and add Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Whisk mixture as cheese melts in until mixture is smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and serve over pasta.